RSS
Welcome to the blog! Here you can read reviews of films available in the Nipissing Library. Maybe you'll know some of them, maybe you won't. But you'll be surprised what you can find if you know where to look.

Pages

Vampires Week: Blade Trilogy (1998, 2002, 2004)


This whole week of reviews was inadvertently started by my housemate. We were reading over my list of possible films to review when she said, “We should watch Blade.” She hadn’t seen it in years and I’d never seen any of them. Always up for a new movie experience and being a big fan of both action films and comic books (on which Blade is based), I named this week “Vampire Week” and we checked out all three Blade movies with which to marathon. I have to say, I was not disappointed. I’ll comment on all three movies here as simply and succinctly as possible.

Blade
Call No: PN1997 .B5738 2001

The movie that starts it all. Basic rundown? Blade is the half mortal, half vampire protector of the human race. Known as the “Daywalker” because of his ability to walk during the day while having the healing and strength of a vampire, Blade must take down vampire baddie Deacon Frost with the help of his mentor Whistler.

First of all, props to Kris Kristofferson for not only managing to appear threatening at his age, but to do it in a leg brace. The storyline is tight and suspenseful, easily driven by the equal combination of action and drama (and by drama, I mean scenes where Blade doesn’t look like he’s going to kill someone and the other characters share memories and emotions). While the manner by which some mild gore was executed turned my timid stomach while eating (my own fault), I’d watch this film again in a heartbeat.


Blade II
Call No: PN1997 .B57382 2002 vdisc.1-2

In the second Blade movie, Blade has to do the unthinkable: team up with a pack of his mortal enemies to take down an even worse threat. In order to take out a vampire breed that not only feeds on humans but other vampires, Blade has to work with a team of vampires. It’s a crazy enough plan to work – provided they don’t all kill each other first.

The main character is based on a comic, the film is directed by Guillermo del Toro and has Ron Perlman playing Blade’s foil. The whole time I was watching the film, I kept turning to my friend saying that we should watch Hellboy next (directed by del Toro and featuring Perlman as the title character). The plot wasn’t as good here as in the first one, but the action and choreography was more fluid. I enjoyed some of the characters as well as a twist that I didn’t see coming. If you’re looking for more action and a semi-decent plot, you’ve got it here.


Blade Trinity
Call No: PN1997 .B576 2005 vdisc.1-2

While the first two films had some semblance of a logical plot, this film relies a little more heavily on pre-established story to drive it. The only way to truly appreciate this movie means you would have needed to see the first two. In this film, the humans (including the FBI) are now after Blade, leaving him nowhere to turn – until an underground gang called the Nightstalkers offer their services. The vampires of the city have been busy in their quest to make themselves stronger, and they’ve found Dracula to help them.

I have to start by saying that I liked the film. For the action that I was looking for, the film delivered. In terms of characters? So-so. Ryan Reynolds was excellent (as was his shirtless scene), but most of that was due to his smartass and comedic contributions. Although Jessica Biel’s character is tied to Blade through acquaintances, I didn’t find myself interested in her character at all. The film could have done a number of different things and didn’t seem sure on what it wanted to do itself. The ending, however, was satisfying. Not great, but any series that goes for three movies and successfully doesn’t blow all of the previous films by making a terrible ending is okay in my books.

The Verdict: While I did enjoy all three movies, the first one was probably my favourite. I really enjoyed the characters in the second film (not that Jessica Biel and a shirtless Ryan Reynolds weren’t awesome), but the tight storyline, action and characters in the first movie are what sold me. The plot, while not the most believable, had an air of reality to it. I like the idea that vampires have integrated themselves into society without us knowing. Plus, I’m always a sucker for Indiana Jones-type artifacts, legends and prophecies (though not enough to make me watch Indy 4 just yet). The winner, therefore, goes to the original Blade.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Nipissing University Film Collection. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy